Microcalcifications and my mammogram
I have two calcifications in the right breast. I am 43 years old. On the report it said "one appears to be benign the other is in question." I guess my question is....and Im sure Im reading more into this than what it is.....but If they know that the one is okay than why do I feel certain that the other is cancer? I am very nervous about this biopsy I have to have done on Tuesday. I know everyone says it will not hurt but I just feel like I will go crazy waiting for the results. In my head I keep telling myself that it is cancer.
Dear Debi7704:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue.  Microcalcifications in and of themselves are not a condition that would become cancerous however they can be a sign of a problem that may need further investigation based on their appearance on a mammogram.  For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a “cluster” of microcalcifications may increase concern that there may be an underlying tumor, thus the recommendation for further testing which may include a biopsy.  The appearance of a new area of microcalcifications is not uncommon and each occurrence of a new area of microcalcifications would be evaluated separately.

A related discussion, Milk of calcium was started.