Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Microcalcifications and my mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Microcalcifications and my mammogram

I have two calcifications in the right breast. I am 43 years old. On the report it said "one appears to be benign the other is in question." I guess my question is....and Im sure Im reading more into this than what it is.....but If they know that the one is okay than why do I feel certain that the other is cancer? I am very nervous about this biopsy I have to have done on Tuesday. I know everyone says it will not hurt but I just feel like I will go crazy waiting for the results. In my head I keep telling myself that it is cancer.
Dear Debi7704:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue.  Microcalcifications in and of themselves are not a condition that would become cancerous however they can be a sign of a problem that may need further investigation based on their appearance on a mammogram.  For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a “cluster” of microcalcifications may increase concern that there may be an underlying tumor, thus the recommendation for further testing which may include a biopsy.  The appearance of a new area of microcalcifications is not uncommon and each occurrence of a new area of microcalcifications would be evaluated separately.

A related discussion, Milk of calcium was started.