Breast Cancer Community
Microcalcifications in straight line & liquid form
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Microcalcifications in straight line & liquid form

Yesterday I went for a Sterotactic Biopsy, which was not as bad as I had anticipated.  After the procedure, the doctor commented that the calcificiations appeared to be on the surface of my left breast in a straight line and in liquid form.  Felt that the results would come back benign, but would have to wait for the actural results on Weds.  My questions is, what does it mean that the calcifications seem to be in a straight line and liquid form?  Is that common and/or a good sign?

Thanks,

Carol
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
Hi,

Microcalcifications are tiny specks of calcium in the breast tissue that need to be investigated further to rule out cancer.

The microcalcifications if large or clustered are usually biopsied for a confirmed diagnosis. Most calcifications are usually benign.

There are certain features that favor a benign calcifications and certain features that are seen more commonly with malignant calcifications - that is what your doctor was describing to you.

The usual plan of follow up is a regular breast self exam, a clinical evaluation in 6 months and a mammogram every 6 months or annually or as your doctor advises.

Carry on regular breast self examinations and report any abnormal features to your doctor.

Let us know how the biopsy goes, and do post us the reports when they come in.

Dont worry about the calcifications growing, relax and just keep your appointment with your doctor regularly.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us about how you are doing.

Good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...