Breast Cancer Community
Mild atypia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mild atypia

I just had a breast biopsy and was diagnosed w/ 30% mild atypia, can you please tell me what does this mean? The Radiologist & my OB/GYB Drs. recommend to have this removed by a breast surgeon. Your input will be appreciated.

Maria
Atypia finding indicates that cells were found that are not typical and are abnormal. This is a condition that increases a woman's risk of developing breast cancer and it is usually recommended that these suspicious cells be removed surgically. Some additional form of treatment may be recommended after surgery as well depending on the final Pathology report on the tissues submitted. I hope you are proceeding with the recommendations of your Physicians. Regards .....
It is important to have the atypia removed and analyzed via an excisional biopsy, since approximately one-third of the time it is located adjacent to cancerous cells. The sooner you have the area biopsied, the sooner you get your pathology results and can address potential problems early, which gives you the chance to conserve breast tissue and increases the odds of survival.

I also had atypia (flat epithelial atypia with columnar cell changes and hyperplasia), and the results from my excisional biopsy came back benign. I am wishing you the same happy results! Keep us posted on your progress. With kind regards...