Breast Cancer Community
MiracleB

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

MiracleB

My question is whether or not anyone has any information or advise in regards to getting a tubal ligation,(actually cauterized), compared to having a hystorectomy? I am just looking for any and all opinions in regards to how either procedure went for you, pros and cons and if it was correlated with ovarian or cervical cancer risks. I am 47 years old and was currently on the depo-provero injection for birth conrtol. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer my doctors said I need to get of the depro and choose another method, because of the possibility that the hormones in the shot could allow the cancer to become more aggressive. My options are limited to an IUD, tubal or hysterectomy. I chose the tubal. It is scheduled for July 5th, but now, of course after discussing everything  with my doctor and talking with friends, my friends are saying I might as well have a hysterectomy. I am still sticking with the tubal at this point.
Several women in my family have had hysterectomies due to health issues.  If a tubal will do what you need (permanent birth control), why go the more intense route? Hysterectomies are more for health issues than for birth control. Recovery is shorter and surgery simpler with tubal.  
After discussing all the options with our doctor, my husband opted for a vasectomy because that is the simplest and safest procedure for permanent birth control.  
If this is not an option, discuss your other options with a trusted health provider.  She/he will give you the pros and cons of each.  Take someone with you that you trust to write down the answers that you are given.
Thanks for the information. I had my husband convinced to do a vasectomy as I told him it was definately the easiest and least expensive procedure, but then I was concerned about how long we we would have to wait to make sure all the sperm had cleared out and the need for another control.  I had read that multiple tests are neeeded to check for sperm and they could escaped for months. My main concern about the hysterectomy was that I have heard so many breast cancer patients end of needing one. Maybe it is due for other reasons and just coincidental. Does any know if there is a correlation, study or higher risk factor for ovarian cancer or cervical cancer in regards to having breast cancer? If so, does having a hysterectomy diminish this or help prevent one or the other from happening?