Breast Cancer Community
Mondor's Disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Mondor's Disease

Was diagnosed with Mondor's Disease last week after mammogram and ultrasound.  Both were normal.  No history of trauma; just showed up one day.  Hard to find info about it, tho since it's pretty uncommon.  Anyone else out there have this?

Mondor’s disease is a benign disorder of the breast. It is a thrombophlebitis of the superficial veins of the breast. It can affect any of the veins in the breast, but most commonly affects those under the nipple. It may occur from wearing very tight clothes, infection, recent surgery and trauma as pointed out by you. It present as a cord under the skin. The treatment is conservative that is it is allowed to heal and usually it goes over a coupl of months. The pain takea little longer and may need some OTC painkillers. Good support while trying to wear loose clothes is recommended.

Hope this helped. let us know if you have any queries.

Best regards.
Hi I have been diagnosed with Mondor's disease i was made aware that this is only limited time span however they found it in 2006 its now 2008 the lump has grown considerably and the pain has worsened, I have not found any support groups etc as its rare, if anyone knows anything more on this medical condition i would love to know more as its concerning

Cheerz
Hi - was dx in 2003 with invasive ductal cancer, with associated intermediate DCIS, 4/18 lymph nodes positive. Some 3 yrs later I had a long ropey lump in the same breast and got an urgent appt with my bc surgeon. My idc tumour was non-palpable, found on a normal 3 yrly mammo, so I had no idea what a malignant tumour looked or felt like. He immediately dx Mondor's disease and said he had never seen this condition in a bc patient, but had seen it in non-bc patients. He asked if I would let all the radiographers and radiologists on duty that day to come and have a look and a feel, as it is so rare that most of them have never seen it. Be my guest!
There is no treatment, it finally sorts itself out - in my case nearly a year, but everything is fine now. You can google Mondor's for more technical information.

Take care,
Liz.

You could find some useful inforamtion in this article by Schwartz et al -

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic909.htm

Read it, and let us know if you have any further doubts or queries.

Also post us on how you are doing and about what your specialist has advised.

Regards.
A related discussion, Mondor's Disease was started.