Breast Cancer Community
MuGard help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

MuGard help?

I just read a post on here asking if anyone has used MuGard.  MuGard is available in the US and I've used it with my patients.

I'm an oncology nurse and the hospital that I work with was recently introduced to MuGard.  It's a ready to use (which is important for my patients) solution that you swish in your mouth (about 2 tablespoons worth) 4-6 times a day.  My patients have seen dramatic results.  We gave it to both patients that had mouth sores, inflammation of the mouth, and thrush (oral yeast infection) already and it worked, but also used it as directed which is the first day of chemo/radiation and many didn't get OM (oral mucositis) at all or a grade 1-2 when in past rounds of chemo these patients got grades 3-4.

Magic mouthwash, though easily accessible, I haven't had much luck with.  We would give it because it was really the only thing we had and it does provide some numbing effect, but it is very short term.  

I wish you the best with your cancer treatment and hope you get the comfort you're seeking.  Ask your oncology nurse about MuGard, chances are she heard of it or have nurse friends that have. Perhaps it would help to reach out to the company to see if they can get you a sample.  They provided my hospital with a large amount of samples for us to try it.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.
1 Comment
Thank you for posting.I am sure many women will appreciate very much your kindness and this excellent information.
Thanks again...