Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Multiple Mammograms?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Multiple Mammograms?

I am 38 years old and in two weeks I am going to have my fourth mammogram in less than a year. The first one showed dense breast and needed a follow up in six months...the second one showed suspicious mass in left breast and needed a follow up in three months...the third one was a spot commpression on left breast and showed a suspicious nodule and needed a follow up in two months. I know the problem is not hormonal because I have had a total hysterectomy. There is cancer of all types throughout my family...mother died of ovarian cancer...father died of prostate cancer....two biological aunts died of breast cancer. Should I be worried or concerned??
Dear bac432:  It is difficult to tell whether or not you should be concerned.  It seems that, at a minimum, your mammograms are hard to read due to dense breast tissue. Usually a spot compression is done to further define an area of concern. If there is a suspicious nodule, it may make sense to see a breast specialist to determine if this needs further evaluation.
Plan B would be to have a biopsy of the area (I'm assuming the xrays were all of the same area.) For an area that shows on mammogram but can't be felt, it's done with an xray guided procedure called stereotactic biopsy. If the area remains of concern after all the studies you describe, it sounds like it might be a good idea.