Breast Cancer Expert Forum
My 12 yr old son has a solid nodule behind his nipple. I am concerned....

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

My 12 yr old son has a solid nodule behind his nipple. I am concerned.
My 12 year old son showed me a solid nodule behind his nipple.  It is hard to the touch and is under his right nipple.  He said it has been there about 2 weeks.  It hurts to "flex" his muscles.  Is this normal for a boy or should I see his pediatrician asap?
Thank you.
Dear Hovank, What your son is feeling is most likely from a benign (non-cancerous)cause.  Male breast cancer is rare, but one out of every 150 cases of breast cancer involves a man, usually in men over 60 years old.  Although a painless breast lump is the most common sign, most breast lumps in men are benign (non-cancerous) and are related to some other cause.  The first step in determining what the cause might be in your situation would be to have it examined by your pediatrician.