Breast Cancer Community
My 14 year old daughter has a lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

My 14 year old daughter has a lump

Tonight my 14 year old daughter informed me that she was having discomfort in her right breast behind the nipple. Only on the right side. There's an obvious lump under the nipple. She has already been having periods since 11 and I don't believe she's still going threw puberty. I'm so worried about this I can think straight! We have no insurance and I don't know where to start as far as seeking medial attention. Do to the lack of insurance and money, I don't want to go on a wild goose chase with doctors. She says it just came out of nowhere and just noticed it this morning. I'm asking for some piece of mind and should I start at her pediatrician? Or a specialist?  

Someone please get get to me soon and thank you so very much.
1 Comment
Please don't worry about your daughter's lump.The changes she is going through are extremely common at 14, because at this age her hormones are changing and all this makes breast lumps much more likely.Feeling a lump or lumps in young girls is inevitable and it's part of growing.
Advise your daughter to limit chocolates and colas as caffeine might increase pain in her breasts and causes lumps to swell .These type of lumps go away on their own after a few weeks,but if it persists after her period is over or seems to be getting bigger quickly, and if her breast seems red, swollen and painful, then don't ignore it.I would advise you to take her to her pediatrician for an examination to make sure she doesn't have an infection that should be treated with antibiotics.
All the best to both of you.. :)