Breast Cancer Expert Forum
My mom is getting a lumpectomy for a 5mm breast nodule?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hey everyone...I am very concerned about my mom.  She's 54 years old and hadn't been for a mammo in nearly 5 years.  Recently (in June) she finally decided to get one and they discovered a small 5mm lump that looked suspicious.  She went for additional mammo/sonno and the doctor decided that she should get a needle biopsy.  We received the results today and they did discover some cancerous cells in that area.  There are calcifications associated with the small lump as well.  We are all incredibly worried that it could've spread to the lymph nodes, even though the doctor said the chances are slim.  She is getting a lumpectomy in 3 weeks, followed by 6 weeks of radiation.  Has anyone else gone through a similar sitaution...please share your story with me.  Also, since the lump is small, is there less chances that it went to the lymph nodes?  I'm so scared...I'm praying to God that everything will be ok.  Please help.  
Dear krod1989:  The earlier and smaller the cancer is found, the lower the likelihood of lymph node spread.  However, if there is any breast cancer, the lymph nodes should be checked.  
Thanks so much for your answer, that definitely makes me feel a lot better.  If there are any others that would like to share their experiences of success, I would love to hear from you!  Thanks :)