Breast Cancer Community
My sister is refusing chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

My sister is refusing chemo

I don't know if I should talk my sister into taking chemo or not. She a modified radical a month ago for a stage 2, 4 cm
ductal cancer, est/pro +,  NO invasion of cancer into the lymph glands. She will be having a saline implant soon for reconstruction. Since there was no lymph invasion she does not feel she needs chemo and so far has not seen an oncologist as all the cancer tissue was removed during surgery. According to her - and I can understand her thinking - chemo is toxic and can cause cancer in itself! Nor is she crazy about Tamoxifen as it could cause endometrial cancer, enlarge her fibroids and cause other problems. I truly don't know how to advise her, I want her to make the best decision but I am afraid of a recurrence years down the road. Has anyone passed on chemo and is doing good?

What is her age? What medication has been advised as part of chemotherapy?

You could contact her oncologist and also take a second opinion if you are not convinced.

It would be best to trust that your breast surgeon and oncologist would decide the best possible option and in the best interest of your sister.

It would be best to decide after talking to her specialist and what he/she advises.

Let us know about how she is doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.

She is 51. She has not seen an oncologist. Is in no hurry to do so. I told her to at least get an opinion from an oncologist and she is debating that but says that they would probably steer her into chemo since thats what they do.
She seems as if she is in denial. How did she get the surgery if she didn't see an oncologist?

That, my sister had cancer 10 years ago, and only have radiation after. You can urge her, but in the end, you have to acknowledge her desires, you can only go get books and show her, talk with her and encourage her to be here.  

Well, then you just need to schedule an appointment on her behalf with an oncologist and take her along with you. Be there when she goes to see the oncologist , so that she would have emotional support and also so that both you and the oncologist can convince her about the further treatment.

Let us know how she is doing and also post us if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
She saw the surgeon who did the sentinal node biopsy and the surgery but never saw an oncologist. She also saw a plastic surgeon for implant surgery.  She needs a referral from her HMO gatekeeper for an oncologist and she never asked for one. It's really strange the primary doctor isn't following up on this.
This is going to be a much different comment than those above but I believe it might answer your concerns regarding your sister. I had the same surgery 6years ago; had no lymph node involvement (I assume this was also true with her), I was not referred by my surgeon and did not see an Oncologist until my Primary Care Physician (who is also a friend of mine) insisted. I did it out of respect for him and his opinions. The only recommendation as a reult was Tamoxifen which I refused ( I was post menopausal). I offer no advice for your sister or for you but we each have a right to refuse or accept treatment and I DO NOT believe this means we are in denial. I am the most positive thinker alive and NEVER deny anything. Wishing you both the best.