Breast Cancer Community
Need help with Treatments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Need help with Treatments

Hello there everybody. My name is Matt and my mother has cancer.

She was diagnosed again yesterday, just a few months after being able to drive again. She had Chemo a few years ago, so it isn't an option this time.

The cancer has come back in a few places in the brain, none of them too large, and come back a bit in one of her breasts. The Doctor recently traded out her Tamoxifen for Letrozole. As far as I know, Tamoxifen is used to prevent the large majority of the hormone being fed on by the cell, whereas Letrozole is supposed to stop the body producing it completely. My mother is 49 at the moment, 50 on September 10th. Her doctor also said that Letrozole can only slow the process down.

I have been researching like mad for the last two days, looking up all kinds of treatments. I don't care what kind, I just want something that works. The cancer is in several areas of the brain, though none of the areas are too big, but still cannot be operated on. I have been looking through and it appears that 'The Ketogenic Diet' (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/30/dagostino-cancer-research.aspx) is quite good at dealing with Breast Cancer in the brain. It works by trying to reduce the intake of Carbohydrates and Calories massively, aswell as protein. The reason for this is that the regular body cells are flexible enough to change accordingly in response to this, whereas the cancer is not. Therefore, it will starve to death.

Any other treatments would be appreciated more than anything in the world. I'm only 15 and am finally getting my life together, I don't know how me, my sister and my farther would cope.

Please. Anything.

Thank you.

Matt.
I forgot something. What exactly is contained in a Ketogenic diet? Please could I have a diet plan from somebody or atleast reccomendations.

Additionally, there have been claims that when you combine Hormone Therapy with other types of therapy, the results are improved massively. This is because hormone therapy halts the growth, so any therpay designed to kill cancer has a much easier job. With just hormone therapy, you're just slowing it down, with just 'cancer killing' therapy, the cancer grows back quickly so it's slow progress if any.
First of all, I am really sorry that your Mom’s Breast cancer has spread to her brain and breast too…My heart goes out to you and the family having to go through this difficult time.:(
Regarding treatments and the diet you are suggesting ,it's really hard to say if it will actually work for her. I am sorry if I can’t give any advice about this,since cancer treatment differs greatly from person to person.The best advice I could give your Mom, is to discuss her upcoming treatments with her Doctor and her Oncologist because they have her complete medical record and know her health status. I am sure they have her best interest at heart and will plan the most effective course of treatment for her particular situation.
Best wishes to your Mother, and all the family…