Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Needle Biopsy Question

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Needle Biopsy Question

I went for a ultrasound about 6 months ago while I was pregnant b/c my doc detected a lump (about 2:30 clockwise) and 2cm on my left breast.  AFter having the baby I had to do another ultrasound and they saw that there are two small lumps one about 1.5 cm and another that is about .5 ml.  They said in the first ultrasound it is probably fibrodenoma and benign but when i went for my second ultrasound they kinda scared me and said that you should have done a mammogram or now requested a breast needle biospy (ultrasound monitored).  I am nursing and I am scared to do this.  No one in my famly has cancer and I am 29 years old.  Can someone tell me a little about what a fibrodenoma is like versus a real cancerous tumor?  Also, how long does the procedure last for and does it hurt?  Has any nursing mothers done this before?  My lump obviously shrank since I had the baby b/c of the hormones and everything but they want to make sure it is nothing serious.

Is it good to take it out?

Thank You
Dear cally44,  A fibroadenoma is a benign (non-cancerous) tumor. A fibroadenoma can be left alone with no treatment if we are sure that it is a fibroadenoma. If there is any concern - a biopsy of the tumor is done, and only after the sample of tissue is examined under the microscope, can the diagnosis be made for sure.  
An ultrasound- guided biopsy is a tissue sampling technique that does not require surgery. A biopsy needle is placed into the breast tissue. Ultrasound helps confirm the needle placement using sound waves reflected off breast tissue so the exact location of breast tissue is biopsied. The type of echo varies with each type of tissue. Ultrasound can distinguish many benign lesions, such as fluid-filled cysts, from solid lesions. Tissue samples are then taken through the needle.   The particulars of the procedure planned for you would be discussed with you by your doctor.  However, in general the procedure for a ultrasound guided core needle biopsy is: a local anesthetic is used to numb the area prior to the procedure, the samples are obtained using ultrasound guidance - this part of the procedure takes about 15 minutes depending on type of biopsy, afterward sterile strips and a small adhesive bandage are applied to the skin.  The entire procedure may take about an hour.  Evaluation of breast masses in pregant and nursing women can be tricky; it may be helpful to consult with a breast surgeon if you have questions or concerns.
I'm also have a needle biopsy done on the 13th and am concerned on whether i made the right decision....or should i just have the mass removed?  I'm concerned that the FNA will be inconclusive and i'll just have to have the surgery anyway.

Any advice on which is better?
Do you really have a choice? I don't think your doctor would do surgery when you don't know if it's needed. If you are having a core needle biopsy, they usually can remove the whole lump that way, without surgery. If the results are benign, you're done with the process. If the results are cancer, then surgery is the next step.

Has anyone here had a needle biopsy?  I am getting a core needle biospy done and I am very nervous b/c I am breastfeeding.  Can it be harmful for mothers who breastfeed?  So if they do find that the lump is malignant, can they remove it right away or does it require surgery?  Can I continue breastfeeding after the biopsy
This might be a question for the doctor up top. We are allowed only two per day but if you can get it posted the nurse/dr. here will advise you.
I've had the core needle biopsy on 10-26, it was a bit uncomfortable.  I was very anxious which probably added to the situation.  Best of luck

How was the biopsy?  Did you bleed or have any swelling afterwards?  Does it hurt?

I need to know b/c I am nursing and if I can continue to nurse after it.

Thank You
I've had 3 core needle biopsies and each experience was different. Two were very easy and I felt fine...I certainly could have nursed after the first day. I developed a hematoma after one biopsy (had a cyst aspirated and then core needle biopsy right next to the drained area...blood filled the cavity created from the drained cyst) and was very swollen and sore for a month...there's no way anything was getting near my breast. : ) I don't think that's a real common event. Until you actually go through it, it's hard to predict how you'll respond. Best of luck to you!
You developed a hemotama after the first needle biopsy?  Is that the cause of it?  So you can nurse after the biopsy?  Was there a lot of blood after the work?

I had the needle aspiration and the core needle biopsy at one appointment. There were two cysts...one was fluid filled and the other was a fibroadenoma. I didn't have any bleeding on the outside of my breast. They put a steristrip over the little puncture and you leave that on for about a week.

In some cases, women will express blood from the nipple after a biopsy...I suppose it depends where the biopsy occurs and if it's near or in a milk duct. Your doctor should be able to advise you as to your particular situation. I'm sure you're not the first nursing mother they've done a biopsy on (unfortunately).

Let us know how it goes.