Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Negative Ultrasound - Positive Mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I had my first mammogram 1 week ago which showed a lump in my left breast (lower left area).  I can’t feel the lump and my Ob-gyn did not seemed too concerned about it and thought it was likely fibrocystic(?).  I had a spot compression mammo today which still showed the lump, followed by an ultrasound.  Neither the tech. nor the doctor were able to find the lump on the ultrasound.

The (ultrasound) doctor did not seem concerned about it and said not being able to see it on the ultrasound was good news.  He suggested that it was mostly likely dense fatty tissue or fatty lymph node (or a couple other things I can't remember).  He recommended NOT having a biopsy since, according to him; the chances of it being cancer did not warrant the surgery (since it would be more difficult surgery since it doesn’t show on the ultrasound?).  He wants me to have another mammo in 6 months.  He also said that if it turned out to be cancer that the 6 month wait would not affect my treatment or chances of recovery.

He seemed knowledgeable and I wasn't too concerned at the time but now all my friends are telling me horror stories about people who waited and had bad results and pressing me to get a second opinion or have the biopsy.  Should I be concerned?  How much can you tell from the appearance on the mammo?  Does the appearance on the mammo along with the negative ultrasound enable a determination?  Are there other tests that I could have other than a biopsy that would be helpful (CAT, MRI, PET)?

I would add that I am 40 and only have one relative who has had breast cancer – my paternal grandmother (post-menopausal).

Thanks much!

Also, sorry for double posting this on both boards - I meant to post here and couldn't find a way to delete the other post.
Dear ScooterDD,  Over the internet without ability to evaluate including review of films and physical examination it is difficult to advise specifically.  All tests give different types of information and will give information that is more or less suspicious.  Putting it all together (information from the mammograms, ultrasounds, and physical examination) and making a recommendation for what the next step would be.  You may want to seek the advise of a breast specialist to review what has been done as a second opinion for your peace of mind.  Breast specialists are generally associated with large acedemic centers.