Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Nerve damage after Stereotactic biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Nerve damage after Stereotactic biopsy

I am having a hard time getting my doctor (especially the Radiology Department) to believe the pain I continue to have three months after a biopsy (results benign).  Is there anywhere I can search for something to print out and give to my doctor so he can get answers for me?  He talks about cancer surgery patients who have had after affects regarding nerves, but has never addressed the fact that I have the same thing resulting from a biopsy.  If anyone has a place for me to look, please let me know.
Dear birdd:  Stereotactic biopsy is usually fairly well tolerated, though any invasive procedure could potentially result in pain.  If you are not getting satisfactory answers from the doctor who did the procedure, you may ask to be referred to a breast specialist or pain management specialist to do a work up and try to sort out the cause of the pain and make appropriate treatment recommendations.

I was seen by my Gyne who now tells me there is a new lump (cyst or blood mass), sent me to a Breast Surgeon who felt the same thing.  He said he has heard of nerve damage after cancer surgery.  He sent me back to Radiology for an ultrasound.  He disputed both doctors and said as far as the pain "in all my years I have never heard of such a thing".  Who Do I Believe?  I was told to just wait until my follow-up mammogram in six months.
I had a very similar biopsy with neg. results. It took me 18 months for someone to  listen to me. I now take nova gabapentin for nerve damage in the breast it is truly a miracle, been a long time since I have felt this close to normal. Now its the long road back to getting my life back. I truely feel your frustration doctors need to listen to us we know what our bodies are feeling! Best of luck to you
Here it is another month coming up after and no answers.  Went for a second opinion because the Breast Center that performed the biopsy refuses to believe me.  The second opinion confirmed nerve damage, but gave no answers.  I do not want to take drugs - there has to be something that can be done.  Anyone?