Breast Cancer Community
Nerve damage after excisional biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Nerve damage after excisional biopsy

I was diagnosed with microcalcifications after my mamo in Jan 09.  I had a core biopsy done which showed no cancer but Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia.  I recently (April 16th) had an excisional biopsy to remove the entire area.  I received all clear margins and I am healing nicely, except, from the point of the incision (right side of right breast) all the way to the nipple and surrounding area is extremely sensitive and painful.  By the end of the day, my bra has rubbed the site so bad I'm almost at tears, water hurts when I take a shower.  The surgeon said it was probably nerve damage from the surgery.  Does anyone have any idea how long this should last and if I should be concerned?
1 Comment
Since it's been only about 2 weeks since your lumpectomy,it's very normal to feel pain at the site of the incision and the surrounding area.When nerves are cut they take quite sometime to heal.When I had my surgery I was advised to massage the breast gently with a lotion and to apply warm compresses.It really helped a lot the healing process.The site of the incision became less painful when I wore a bra.If the shower jet hurts your breast you can always turn around so the water will fall gently on the breast that hurts.I can't guess how long it will take for you to heal... we all feel pain differently but in the meantime you can take some over the counter pain killers or you can ask your treating doctor or surgeon for a stronger drug to better control your pain. I hope that you'll feel better soon.Best wishes.