Nipple Discharge/Lactation- A Tumor?
I've been lactating abnormally for about two weeks following an abnormal period. The doctors initially thought it was potentially from a high prolactin level and a possible pituitary tumor. Well I just got the results back and learned that my prolactin levels are normal.

I am not pregnant and there is no possibility of it I want to add. I also have never had any children, so this situation is a bit alarming to me.

My gyne is being really strange about this and is referring me to a breast center. I am really starting to get nervous! I really don't know what to expect. My doctor's nurse would not tell me what she thought could be wrong. She also said she thought that my abnormal period wasn't related? I wanted to know why I am still lactating and asked her and she was really short with me and just said go to the breast center and that was that.

Does anyone know what could cause nipple discharge? When it first happen it squirted. It looks like milk. I now usually have to squeeze the areola for the milk to come out. I can tell there is a specific duct that it is coming from. I read on one site that a tumor called a intraductal papilloma could be the cause or fibrocystic disease? Also breast cancer itself. I am getting a little scared.

Has anyone here gone through this? What can I expect at a breast center? I am only 34, so I've never had any extensive breast examinations. Thanks for everyone's input in advance.  
First let me say that you should NOT be stimulating the breast or nipple ... this sends a signal to the brain and some type of discharge will be produced. Breast discharge can be almost any color and consistency and isn't usually a cause for concern unless it is from one breast only, WITHOUT stimulation and bloody. There can be several issues involving the milk ducts that can cause a spontaneous discharge but not cancer. The nurse was correct in saying that there was no connection between your unusual menses and the breast issue. The discharge can be sampled and sent to the Path. lab if there is any suspicion but milky discharge probably wouldn't be considered suspicious. It's a good idea to see a Breast Specialist to determine the cause and solution to this problem. I would think you might have a breast exam and possibly an Ultrasound at the Breast Center plus the taking of an extensive history. You might also write down any questions you may have and take the list with you .... so often we lose our thoughts in stressful situations and it never hurts to take a friend with you as an extra pr. of ears to catch what we might miss.  Kindest regards .....