Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Nipple Discharge

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Nipple Discharge

I'm 32 yrs old and I have had smelly milky discharge coming from my left nipple for the past couple of weeks but doesn't come with stimulation just spontaneous. I now it's probably nothing but am a little concerned. Can you help with any reasons why this would be happening? Thanks
Dear Jenn6, Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white.  Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers.  These medications increase prolactin levels in the body.   There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between.

The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening, and is only on one side.  If it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody.  If this is the case you would bring it to the attention of your doctor who could evaluate.  

I can see you're worried, but the Doctor's answer has been a good one. Please go for a checkup to ease your mind. I don't mean to be rude, but I speak from experience. Early detection is much better than trying to sure at later stages.

You should also surf around the net and read more articles just to equip yourself with the necessary knowledge and confidence. One great way would to subscribe to blogs which are always being updated from day to day. For example, http://breast-cancer-info-awareness.blogspot.com/
Dear Jenn,

The doctors are right on target, but if your insurance will pay for it request an mri. I had a milky discharge that over a course of a year turned brownish in color.  Nothing showed on an mamogram (mammogram) but it ended up being dcis which did show on an MRI. My oncologist said that my doctors should have ordered an MRI when the discharge first occurred.