Breast Cancer Community
Nipple Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Nipple Infection

I am a 29 year old mail. My right nipple is sore. The first day that I noticed it to be sore I had a very mild fever. The nipple hurts more to touch, but is slightly painful when not touched. There seems to be a lump or cyst under my nipple. There is swelling and redness about a 1/2 inch outside of my nipple too. The infected nipple is harder than my left nipple all the time, and the nipple itself is more white than my other nipple. I have had no trauma or injury to the infected nipple. I don't haver a lot of money, so I am not sure if it is serious enough to go to the Dr. It seems to be getting worse than better though. It started 4 days ago. The only thing I can think of that I did out of the ordinary is I fasted for 3 days for spiritual purposes right before the infection started. It might just be coincidence, but I am not sure. Any suggestions or advice?  

This discussion is related to A male with a painful 1 inch swelling under the right nipple.
1 Comment

You could be having some skin infection or mastitis. Try some oral OTC pain relief medications, some warm compresses and wear lose clothes and see if it helps to resolve your symptoms.

If the symptoms still persist after a couple of days, you will have to consult your doctor for a proper clinical evaluation and to get a confirmed diagnosis. You might need a course of antibiotics for your complaints and maybe an ultrasound would be required to rule out the presence oof a cystic lesion.

Let us know if you have any more doubts.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Regards.