Breast Cancer Community
Nipple discharge/sore

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Nipple discharge/sore

Starting in July I developed severe anxiety that was pretty bad for about 2 months.  During a breast exam, a clear discharge came out of my left nipple.  The discharge was completely clear and was liquidy (like a tear).  A small drop or two continued to come out over the next few weeks only when I squeezed.  I made an appointment with my gyno for a complete physical (I was due).  She said (as did my other gyno when I was in my teens) that I have fibrocystic breasts- especially in my left breast where the discharge happened.  But she took a spear of the discharge, sent me for an ultra sound and took a cbc and tested for my prolactin level (my prolactin level was slightly high the year before).  All the test came out fine, no growths, no problems with my ducts or inflamation (inflammation), prolactin was normal and the sample of the discharge came back fine.  The girl doing my ultra sound said she saw a lot of fibrocystic tissue in my breast.  My doctor said that it could be stress related and to stop messing with it.  I have pretty bad health anxiety and once I believe I have a disease or problem I start to develop symptoms. I am still kind of worried about it because it still releases discharge when messed with and since I found the discharge it has been painful off and on.  It was not really painful at all before I found the discharge.  I am 25 years old and have been on birth control for a little over a year.  My mother was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer at age 59.  She also had discharge (think and yellowish) but her smear came back abnormal.  They believe her cancer was related to her being on an estrogen patch for 12 years.  My question is do you think the discharge/pain could be related to severe stress from the anxiety, the birth control pill (loestrin 24) or the fibrocystic disease?  My insurance isn't too good so I don't want to have more tests if ultra sounds are pretty accurate. Thanks for all your help!
1 Comment
Nipple discharge only rarely is associated with breast cancer .... there are several causes and most often we are talking spontaneous discharge ... not discharge when squeezed. fibrocystic Breast condition is definitely one of the underlying causes of clear or yellow nipple discharge. Your PHysician has ordered all the appropriate tests to rule out any serious or abnormal cause for the discharge you describe. Fibrocystic Breast condition which is fairly common in  women also causes tenderness of the breasts ... this condition is benign and does not increase one's risk for breast cancer.   Regards ...