Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Nipple itch and burning - lymphadema

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Nipple itch and burning - lymphadema
BCA surgery 7/2000. No lymphnode involvement, Stage 1, grade 3.  Now I have a burning, itching niple on breast where lumpectomy was performed.  I had 6 mos. chemo and 30 rad treatments plus boosts. Now on 20m Tamoxifen daily.  I am really tired all the time and have unexplained vaginal bleeding since I had a complete hysterectomy in May, 2001.  I would like to know about the burning itching nipple - should I be concerned about it?  Also how do I choose a lymphadema center to do the right thing to help me with the fluid buildup in my left hand, arm and breast.  My hand is very painful to the touch (back of hand).  My last mamo was Birads 3.  My gyn is talking about a D&C but what is there left to D&C?  There is nothing there to bleed from, is there? I would love to have just one Dr. take care of me instead of all these specialists who don't talk to each other.  I am 63 years old and have never had any medical problems and there is not brca in my family.  I am the youngest of 14. So what I am most concerned about is the burning, itching nipple, the lymphadema, and the unexplained spotting.  Thank you for your time.
Dear lifelifter:  You should see your breast specialist about the burning, itching nipple and the lymphedema.  The burning, itching nipple may be nothing more than a skin irritation but I would have it checked to be sure it is nothing more serious.  Your doctor should also have some suggestions regarding lymphedema management.  Often and occupational therapist may be a person who could offer additional suggestions.

Regarding the vaginal bleeding, you need a gynecologist.  I cannot comment more specifically on this problem.