Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Nipple rash

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Nipple rash

I have had a small rash with discharge under my right nipple for about 4 weeks, it dries up then starts again and is itchy at times but not painful.  When it first came about it was swollen and tender much like a cellulitis but now it does look like eczema.  Has anyone had a similar occurence and could it be hormone related or precancerous.  I had been breastfeeding two months prior to this without problems.
Dear mitch4, This sounds like a skin irritation.  However, as it is a recurring problem over the past month, discussing this with your health care professional for advise as to whether further checking is in order.  

There is a very rare form of breast cancer called Paget's disease the symptoms usually associated with this are; itching, redness, and spontaneous (not forced) nipple discharge.  For Paget
Rashes on the nipple or areola need to be checked: by far the most likely  thing is something innocent, like excema, etc. There is a form of breast cancer called Paget's disease of the nipple than can cause a rash. Recently breast feeding makes it even more likely it's innocent. But nothing beats a direct look at it.
First, I want you to know that there is a VERY great chance your rash is nothing.. HOWEVER..... I have Inflammatory Breast Cancer, a rare (about 4% of all cases) type of breast cancer that can be aggressive.  

You MUST get this checked out immediately.   My gynocologist blew me off, but my intuition sent me to another doctor immediately.   There are many, many well meaning doctors who diagnose this as Mastitis or skin disorder.

Please, Please tell your doctor that you want to be tested for inflammatory breast cancer.

There is a web sight that is rather alarming but I would like for you to visit it.  My symptoms were slightly red, swollen breast and my breast had peau de orange (these are pits in the breast).    Like I said my doc said NO BIG DEAL.   Turned out I had stage 3 cancer.

www.ibcsupport.org  is alarming but does give info.  The pictures of breast are of extreme cases, please note your breast does not have to look this bad to be IBC.

Please reply if you have more questions.  Remember, this is MOST LIKELY NOTHING, but you can't afford to wait.
A related discussion, paget's disease was started.