Breast Cancer Expert Forum
No Insurance - Breast Lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

No Insurance - Breast Lump

I have no insurance and have been turned down by Medicaid.  I am 58 female.  I cannot afford medical insurance. I have discovered a lump.  Where can I go to get help, tests, etc.  I live in the San Francisco, CA bay area.
Thank you.
Dear chrischer:  We recommend that you contact your local department of health and human services or department of social work (should be in the phone book).  In most major cities, there are medical facilities that will take fees on a sliding scale based on income or have plans for people who do not have adequate insurance coverage.  These offices should know where you can obtain medical care in your area.  
You also might try to contact The Susan G. Komen Foundation ....... there should be an affiliate in your area.
Hi chrischer;
I am new to this site. I have been looking for imformation myself. I live in Oregon and like you I have no insurance. I was told about a program from a co-worker for breast and cervical cancer. It is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in partnership with the Susan G. Komen Foundation. I also have no insurance; I slip between the cracks of too much income for medicaid, not enough for insurance. I am very thankful for this program!! It may be available in your area through your local public health department. This program pays for your yearly womans health check up as well as a mammogram. My mammogram showed a spot of concern. This program is paying for my biopsy and if need be some costs for sugery should I have cancer. You are not alone out there. It can be very scary to have health concerns and no insurance. Good luck to you!! I truely hope every thing comes out well for you. PLEASE check with your health department to see if this program is available in your area. It could be a life saver!!