Nodular Densities Bilaterally
Hi!!  In layman's term what does "Nodular Densities Bilaterally" mean?  An Ultrasound and Mammogram was recently performed with the above results of my right breast.  1.  How serious is this?  2. What is my next step?  3.  Should I be retested and a different facility? 4. How soon?;   Listed on the radioligical interpretation is:  Category 03 - probably benign findings - follow-up suggested??  I live in a small rural town and do not 100% trust the medical treatment/facility her.
Nodular density refers to fibrocystic changes that are usually benign. Nodular densities make the mammogram difficult to read as it is difficult to see a small lesion on mammogram or to palpate a definite lump on physical exam. The dense tissue makes it more likely that a cancer might be missed. The nodular density finding itself is not a risk factor for breast cancer; many women have these changes.
Category 1 - Negative
Category 2 - Benign Findings
Category 3 - Probably Benign Findings, Short Interval Follow Up Suggested
Category 4 - Suspicious Abnormality, Biopsy Should Be Considered
Category 5 - Highly Suggestive of Malignancy
Category 6 - Known Biopsy Proven Malignancy
The above is the classification used by American College of Radiology. And yours is category 3. So like your doctor advised you will have to carry on with regular breast self exams and report any abnormal feature that you notice, get a clinical evaluation once every 4 -6 months as your physician advises and mammograms or USG accordingly.Goodluck.