Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Non Dimesional White Spot on Diagnostic Mamogram(mammogram)

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I e mailed last wee to ask about a denisty found on my wife's preliminary mamogram (mammogram). She is 44 years old.

She went for a diagnostic mamogram (mammogram) and it was re done a number of times. My wife asked if that was a bad sign and the nurse/radiologist said it was actually a good sign as she could not find anything on thre film. Later she had an ultra sound and a doctor came in to review everything and he said there was a non- dimesional white spot on the film in the same spot where the original mamogram (mammogram) showed a more well defined spot.

He said, he would be unable to do a bopsy on a non dimemsional spot and that she was not out of the woods yet. He told her to return in 6 months. A co worker of my wife's said that her sister had a similar spot on her mamogram (mammogram) and after waiting six months found out she had cancer and opted to have both breast removed.

She suggested talking to her doctor and haveing another mamogram (mammogram) done as soon as possible. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thank You
Dear nervous husband:  As mentioned last week, mammogram results are usually associated with a BIRAD score, indicating the level of concern on the part of the radiologist. As we are unable to view the mammogram, we cannot make any suggestions
as to whether this is something that should or could be biopsied.  If you (and she) are concerned, a second opinion may be a good option.  A breast specialist (or breast surgeon) may be a good choice of a specialist. These types of physicians can often be located at large academic teaching facilities.  
"non dimensional" is not a term I've seen used, but I assume it means something that showed in one view only, and not another; meaning when you look at it straight on it shows, but not when you look at it from the side. When that happens, which is not rare, it usually means it represents a false shadow made by overlapping. Think of this: if you try to make hand shadows on a wall, you could make a circle by holding each hand in a half-circle. It would look like a circle on the wall, even if your two hands weren't touching, if you held them just right in front of the light. But if you rotated your hands, the shadow would no longer be a circle. In most cases, when such a thing occurs, and isn't seen on other views, it's considered not of significance. In any given case, it's not possible to comment more specifically without seeing the pictures. But in order to biopsy a shadow, it has to be visible in more than one dimension. Everyone can find someone who has a story that is scary, like your wife's co-worker. But in general it's unlikely to be serious when it shows only in one view. Getting another opinion is an option. More mammograms wouldn't be likely to help: it sounds like she's had plenty. There are other imaging modes, such as MRI: but be aware that they're not perfect, either, and can come up with newshadows that get biopsied and end up to have been nothing.
A related discussion, spots on breast was started.