Breast Cancer Community
Nottingham Scale Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Nottingham Scale Question

What's the relationship between the mitotic rate on the Nottingham Scale and the doubling rate of a breast cancer cell? My score was a 1.
If you haven't already I would prefer that you post this question on the "Expert" Breast Cancer Forum where the posts are answered by the Cleveland Clinic Physicians   OR  perhaps you might ask your Oncologist.   Thanks .......
As you may be aware, the Nottingham Scale and the Bloom-Richardson Scale are two similar  scales commonly used to determine the histopathologic grade of a tumor.  They produce a tumor grade by considering what the cells look like, how fast growing they are dividing, etc.

The Bloom-Ricardson Scale, for example,  adds together  3 scores given in regard to mitotic rate (your score of 1 is low, or good!), nuclear grade, and cellular differentiation, to come up with a total score, which then determines the final Grade.

Both scales lead to an overall Grade of 1 (not very aggressive), 2 (medium aggressiveness) or 3 (highly aggressive).  The Grade of the BC helps (along with several other factors) in the determination of how aggressively the BC needs to be treated.

Best wishes...