Breast Cancer Community
Oily nipple discharge?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Oily nipple discharge?

I'm wondering if someone could help set my mind at ease.  I am a 29 year old mommy of 3.  My last daughter is just turning 2.  I nursed her until she was 17 months old.  I now have a very oily, clear to yellowish, transparent discharge from my nipples that leaks spontaniously and flows more readily if the nipples are squeezed.  There is an occasional yellow or whitish, thicker, opaque material in the discharge.  Because it affects both breasts and is multiductal , I am assuming it is non-threatening but was wondering if anyone could possible confirm or deny my intuition on the matter.  I don't believe that there are any lumps present, but I have fibrocistic breast tissue and they always feel lumpy.  I also have had some varying thyroid panels pulled which are being observed as my TSH levels will be elevated at one blood draw and within normal limits at the next and so on.  Thanks in advance!

Kari
Anytime you have a spontaneous discharge from the breast, it should be checked by a doctor.  It could be something as simple as clogged milk ducts with a local infection. but it should be checked medically.  I know someone who developed the problem years after breastfeeding and needed antibiotics to clear up her infection.  
Hi kari,
Just wondering what you found out.  I also have fibrocystic breasts and have weaned a little one in the past year, and have recently switched the pill.  Right before my period, I get the feeling that my breasts are full, and they leak a little fluid in the shower.  If I express it, most ducts release a little creamy bead, but two of them have a lot more of this oily yellow substance, and one even has a creamy grey material.  I'm finding a lot of information that says, odd as it seems, that the grey is fine, but that clear yellow may be an issue.  My gut feeling is that it's okay too since it's hormonally regulated and present in two ducts along with odd things happening all over the place, on both breasts... but I was curious what you found out.

take care,
Heather