Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Oncologist has ordered PET CT Scan ?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Oncologist has ordered PET CT Scan ?

I was diagnosed, aged 39, with stage 1 invasive ductal cancer in 2005. I had lumpectomies (2), chemo and radiotherapy and take tamoxifen. I was node negative.
In 2007 I began experiencing hip pain for no explainable reason. I saw my Oncolgist and had xray and bone scan. The bone scan showed increased activity in right 6th rib posterior and in left hip. I then had a rib and chest xray. Both rib and hip X Ray showed no abnormalities or cancers. My Oncologist now has me ordered for a PET scan as the cause of the increased activity in my hip and rib is unexplained.
Having had such a low risk (if there is such a thing) cancer what is the likelihood that this is bone metastasis? If it is cancer am I correct in presuming it must be at a very early stage as it was not conclusive on a bone scan and didn't show up on a normal xray? If its not cancer what else might explain the increased activity? I have had no fractures and the bone scan does not show arthritis.  
If you could shed some light on this it would be very helpful. If I should expect the worst I would rather be prepared!!

Many Thanks

Cheryl
Dear Cheryl:  Without reviewing the x-ray and bone scan, it is impossible for us to make any meaningful interpretation of what this may mean.  If the bone scan is not definitive, the PET scan may help to clarify the likelihood of whether or not this may be metastasis.  The results of the PET scan may also help to determine the next steps.  Your oncologist may be better able, having reviewed the scans, to discuss the possible explanations for the abnormal activity.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Shopping for doctor was started.