Breast Cancer Community
One Areola is suddenly scaly, shriveled, hard, brown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Coming out of the shower about 5 days ago I noticed that my left nipple and entire areola is suddenly dark, hard, scaly and sort of shriveled.  My right nipple is fine. It does not necessarily hurt or itch.

I nervously saw my gynecologist yesterday and she sort of glanced at it and said it looks really dry and to just put neosporin on it.  Everything I am reading says that if it is only on 1 breast, to get it biopsied. I cannot help but to worry about this abnormality and not sure if I should write it off as easily as she did.

Opinions?
1 Comment
If you are not satisfied with the opinion of your Gyn I think you should make an appointment with a Breast Specialist. This would be someone who's practice is with breast issues. It's always best to see a Dr. who deals with the specific problem rather than another type of Physician. This could be a skin problem but I doubt that Neosporin would do much for that either. It may not be something that would require a biopsy either but it definitely deserves further investigation. Regards ....