Breast Cancer Expert Forum
One breast is getting larger

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

One breast is getting larger

I don't know where to ask this question, but over the past 3-4 months I have noticed that my one breast is getting bigger than the other.  Is this normal?  I do have thyroid issues that result from thyroid cancer and I didn't know if there were hormone issues related to that that may be causing this.  Also,  can you buy bras with 2 different cup sizes?
Dear hawkfan:  It is not abnormal for one breast to be larger than the other.  This can range from a small difference to a difference of a cup size.  If, on the other hand, the breast seems to be actively growing, you should have your doctor take a look to be certain that everything checks out okay.  I am not aware of bras being available in different cup sizes but different styles can accommodate different sizes better than others.  You may need to try several to find a style that works for you.  
Ya i think that is a fare enough suggestion.. But one should also keep in mind that she should try to take some step other than to wait for three or four minths if such disorder is seeming.. thnx
You probably don't fall into this category since you are only showing one symptom, but this is a nasty disease and is frequently not considered because it is rare.  I have Inflammatory Breast Cancer, one of the symptoms is your breast increasing in size very quickly.  You don't have the other symptoms and there are probably a million other things it could be, I don't mean to scare you.   But once you hear the horror stories of all the women misdiagnosed and dying so young, I'd rather have a short false scare than let something like this get out of control!!!!  Please go to your doctor and be evaluated, IBC has a tendancy to not show up on mamograms, x-rays, and ultrasounds.  It doesn't grow in lumps, it grows in sheets so is typically not found until very advanced stages.  It also has a tendency to not be diagnosed in biopsies, I've heard of surgeons doing several core biopsys on a breast at an attempt to gather enough area to try to diagnose.

Hope it's something like hormones and going on the pill will fix it!

Hugs
Jessi