Breast Cancer Community
Open sore on breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Open sore on breast

About two days ago I noticed what looked like a boil or a pimple starting on the underside of my left breast. Each day it has gotten worse. This morning after my shower I looked at it and it had a small hole in the middle and darkened tissue around the edge then redness surrounding that. Now the hole is larger and drainging serosanguinous drainage and the darkened tissue looks either bruised or black, it is a hard area to look at. The entire underside of my left breast (where the sore is) is painful and it is very painful to touch or clean the actual open area. I was wondering what this might be. I tried to get into see my MD today but he is out of town, so I tried all other MD offices in my area and no one had any openings. My MD will be back latter part of next week around 1st of May. At the rate this thing has spread just today I am scared to go too long. Does anyone know what this might be? Could it just be an infected pimple? However, before it had an opening it never looked like it had any pus or fluid. It was just a hard sore, red area. I appreciate any help. Thank you.
Don't you have an Urgent Care facility in your area? If so I would certainly go there. No way would I wait until the end of next week. Skin on the breast is the same as skin anywhere else on the body and subject to the same problems. Please have this checked out as soon as possible.

The breast skin is similar to skin elsewhere in the body and is prone to acne and pimples - but an infected pimple or one with serosanguinous discharge definitely needs to be evaluated and appropriate medication started at the earliest to stop the spread of infection.

You could ask for referral to another certified physician or consult a breast specialist or go to the urgent care facility and let them have  a look at the lesion and decide whether it would be alright for your doctor to get back or if this needs urgent attention.

Let us know about what the doctor advises.

Keep us posted.

Regards.

Boy does that sound like a staph infection. My son had the same thing you described on his upper thigh. Get in to see your doctor for antibiotics asap. That is if one is open. I wish you luck!
A related discussion, boil on underside of breast? painful. was started.