Breast Cancer Community
Overcoming chemo fears and a note on sclerosed veins

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

First, a comment on sclerosing of veins in chemo.  A little over 3 years ago I had chemo and developed a very painful sclerosed vein in my left arm.  When it first started to hurt I endured the pain for weeks before I realized that application of a heating pad for an hour or so at night when I was watching television helped a great deal.  Today the vein is soft, never gives me any pain, and seems to be fine.  I just wanted to say that for me, the vein recovered with time.  It has not hurt at all in the past 2 years. I hope this helps someone out there.

Also, generally I would recommend that anyone undergoing chemotherapy begin a journal.  When I was on a 6 week schedule I found that fear was the worst part of treatment.  When I would begin chemo each cycle I would get symptoms that I did not remember and pretty much panic.  After a while my husband started mentioning that he remembered some of my symptoms from previous treatments.  When I started writing down what happened each time I could refer back and console myself that this was normal for me, and would go away in a certain number of hours or days.  I am back in chemo again after almost 3 years and have referred to my old journal for guidance again this time around.  All those scary side affects aren't nearly as scary if you've had them before and came through just fine.  
Tags: fears, sclerosed veins
1 Comment
I am sorry to hear that you have to go through Chemo again!
I hope this is going to be the last time you need to have this therapy and that you'll feel well again for a long time to come.
Thank you for your comment and  information...It could certainly help some members with painful sclerosed vein.
Best wishes to you...