Breast Cancer Expert Forum
PEAU D'ORANGE

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

PEAU D'ORANGE

Merry Christmas to all of you!I am a new doctor(just finished my studies) and I'd like your medical opinion about a case that I saw today.There is a woman 60 years old with cancer of stage 1(T1N0M0),LNs negative(0/20),grade 3,ormonic receptors negative and c-erb negative.She has finished 8 circles of chemotherapy(4 adriamycin-cyclofosfamid and 4 Taxotere.She has been operated in June 2007.Today her left breast(the one with the problem) was rather irritated for the first time since the operation.To me(I am mostly unexperienced and without a specialty yet) seemed to be a flammation.It was red and hot,she had mo fever or edema though.I'm now wondering:Could it be a peau d'orange situation,could it be a side-effect of Taxotere,could it be just a disorientation of lymph vessels of the area?Is it common or possible to notice something like this in a woman like her (with an operated tumor of good prognosis),only a semester after the operation and while she has been taken a chemotherapy?Could it be a new "beginning stronger than the first one''?I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.                              
Dear TUSCANY1979,  Peau d’orange This term means "orange skin" in French. It's when the skin of the breast looks like the skin of a navel orange: It gets swollen and the hair follicles look like lots of little dimples. This can be a sign of inflammatory breast cancer.   However, inflammation of the breast can also be due to other things such as infection, or perhaps lymphedema.   Chemotherapy alone would unlikely cause such a situation.  You may want to refer her back to her surgeon to check this out.