Breast Cancer Expert Forum
PET SCAN

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

PET SCAN
After being diagnosed with Breast Cancer, my mom had a PET SCAN done. The scan showed "lesions" on the ribs, pelvis, tail bone, lumbar spine, shoulder, femur and liver. Does this necassarily mean these areas are cancerous?
Dear WorriedDaughter25,   Bone "lesions" seen on a PET scan in correlation with a diagnosis of breast cancer is concerning for spread of the cancer.  However, this does not mean for sure that these areas are cancerous.  This information needs to be evaluated in context of the whole picture of what is going on with your Mom, such as tumor features, lymph node status, particulars of the PET scan findings (how suspicious is the radiologist reading the scan that these lesions are cancerous) etc.  Her doctor will be better able to put these results in context for you.
At this point there is not any lymph node involvement. This is why I am asking. Just confused