PET SCAN SHOWING HYPERMETABOLISM?
hypermetabolism
by Schools

Member since Sep 2008  

I am a l0 year breast cancer survivor. (ductal carcinoma in situ, w/comedo necrosis). Had a mastectomy then, with no radiation, or chemo.  Which was the protocol at the time.
I had a PET SCAN last week, following up on a lung nodule in lower left lung.  PET showed no uptake of that nodule (it has been there for 2yrs.) However, it showed a NEW hypermetobolic nodule 6MM, in the right upper lung. (that is the side of my mastectomy).. I am following up with a pulmonary surgeon at Un.of Fl. Shands, this coming week.
Is that the right place to start? I have my DVD picture, plus the written report.  Does hypermetobolic ALWAYS mean
Malignancy?  Will the 6mm size, (being so small) impede a good biopsy?  (I  assume I should start with a biopsy).?
Of course I am scared, but hopeful that I  will have a good outcome. Anything you can tell me is appreciated.
I'm sorry no one has responded to you sooner but based on the information I've found, most pulmonary hypermetabolic nodules are malignant and must be assumed to be malignant until they are proven to be benign; however, malignant nodules have an excellent prognosis!

Good luck to you!  I hope everything turns out ok and it turns out to be benign!