Breast Cancer Community
Pain after Breast Lump Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Pain after Breast Lump Removal

I had a lump removed 4 weeks ago results were negative.  I still am experiencing quite a bit of pain, the breast is a little pinker than the other one and there is a large knot or lump in it about the size of a golf ball.  Is this normal?
It's normal to have temporary swelling,redness and tenderness after a lumpectomy.
A lump, could be due to scar tissue that may form in the surgical site.
Gently massaging the breast with a lotion can help the knot to be absorbed by the body more quickly.
I had the same thing happen to me after my lumpectomy,and I was also worried,but the hard lump resolved gradually after a few months
If you notice that the lump does diminish in size after a week or two, or gets bigger,it is best to see your doctor to recheck this area to make sure that you are healing properly.
Take care...
Another possibility would be that a hematoma has formed folloiwing your lumpectomy.

I agree that you should have a recheck by your surgeon if your symptoms are not gradually improving, and especially if they are worsening.

Best wishes...

Sorry for the missing word..
I meant that " if you notice that the lump does "not" diminish in size.."