Breast Cancer Community
Pain after Lumpectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Pain after Lumpectomy

I'm having a lumpectomy on Wed.  I was just wondering how much pain I will be in afterwards.  I know each case is different, but just wondering about your experiences.  Thanks
You're right; everyone experiences pain differently. The incision is usually 2 to 3 inches in size. The amount of tissue removed and how deep it is makes a difference also. I didn't think it was really all that painful ... quite sore of course but some people think those two things are the same; they aren't. I would think it would cause you some discomfort for 2 to 3 weeks and depending on the location might be sore when you move in certain ways for longer than that. Healing doesn't take place immediately and complete healing usually takes several weeks. Pay attention to your post-op instructions and if an ice pack (I was sent home with one) is recommended then use it as it really hepls with swelling and pain. Wishing you the best and a favorable experience.  Kindest regards..
How many days of work did you miss?
LOL; I don't work but I probably would have taken a couple days off ... rest promotes healing and it would depend a great deal on what type of work you do. The Surgeon will have some recommendation as far as your return to normal activity. Due to the anesthesia alone I don't think you'll feel "right" for a couple of days.
I had mine a week ago Friday.  I hurt thru the weekend enough for pain pills and rest. Monday I tried to get back to normal and found that toward dinner time my breast hurt. I think you really need bra support even to sleep and that will help.  I am still having difficulty sleeping due to minor pain that wakes me.  Good luck Wednesday!  
Madge