Pain after a lumpectomy and radiation treatment
I had a lumpectomy 5 months ago and 33 radiation treatments. I sometimes have bad shooting pains in my breast and it feels heavy like. Recent mammo, ultrasond and blood tests say all is fine. Any suggestions on how to avoid the pain?

This discussion is related to post lumpectomy pain.
Hi there!

The results of the mammogram, ultrasound and blood tests being normal are comforting.  The pain can be originating from severed nerves during the surgery itself or from the radiation treatments, all of which cannot be avoided and are the usual risks for these procedures.  However the pain can be addressed by certain interventions.  One is the intake of pain medications during the acute attacks of pain and heaviness.   Not putting too much stress on that arm may also prevent pain.   Another is through exercises that can loosen up the fibrous tissues in your breast that may avert future pain.  These exercises and maneuvers can be thoroughly discussed with you by a rehabilitation specialist (or rehabilitation medicine).

Hope this helps. Regards and God bless