Breast Cancer Community
Pain after biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Pain after biopsy

I was on this forum before and everyone helped me enormosly with my anxiety prior to my biopsy for benign microcalcifications.  

One more question - my breast hurts now, the biopsy was done two weeks ago, I had alot of pain during the biopsy (sterotactic) the lidocaine did not work quickly - the only thing I did not feel was the placing of the marker.

In an event my breast is aching like a toothache - is this normal?? I had virtually no bruising from the biopsy and now only a faint dot.  My breast never hurt before, I also feel what I perceive to be a small lump...Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned - does the marker move??  

Thanks for any help.

Roe
When did the spot begin to hurt? You say the biopsy itself was painful, but after the biopsy, was there a period of time when the breast did not hurt? Are you saying that only in the last few days, it began to hurt again?

because if the latter is the case, this may be a case of the nerve endings beginning to heal, if one was cut ot injured, and this pain, (if it's from the nerves) usually  begins not right after the surgery, or biopsy, but later, and when they start growing back?

I don't know anything for certain and am just throwing out possibilities. Perhaps also, scar tissue is beginning to form and pressing on a sensitive spot.

Does the marker move? I don't know anything about this, but there is always the possibility that some timy thing moved or was left behind?

I very mucch doubt this is a new cancer, and I am wondering if you have told your doctor about this, the one who did the biopsy, as surely he would know best.

Maybe an ultrasound can be done to help identify the  problem. In your case, I would definitely not wait any longer as your concern and questions are very reasonable, and you
need to ask until you get an answer. You also should be seen, and evaluated.

perhaps all of this is normal, or one type of normal, but I have not heard what you are saying specifically, and the way you describe it, it sounds really painful/

Please keep us updated and hopefully someone else has more to say and suggest and explain after I am done.

All the best, Katrin
.
Surprisingly there was very little pain after the biopsy, just perhaps some sensitivity at the needle sight.  This is something new, it started a few days ago and yesterday was the worst day..I think the nerve ending explanation may be reasonable and before I get crazy I will wait a week or so and see what happens - thank you so much for your quick response.

Roe