Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Pain after implants

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Pain after implants

I am 37 years old and had a bilateral mastectomy 3 weeks ago. I had small (350cc) saline implants put in immediately. My question is, is it usual to be in so much pain 3 weeks later?  My incisions are fine but the muscle pain is still quite severe especially when I have been sleeping and then sit up. It almost feels as though the implants have turned into rocks that are sticking to my chest wall.  I massage the implants every few hours and it does give relief for about 60 seconds then I I feel everything start to tighten up again.  Is it just too early to be worried?  Thank you.
Dear batman65:  You should share this with your plastic surgeon to be sure you're healing as he/she expects.  You might also see if there are additional things you can do.  If there is no sign of infection, it may just be part of the healing process.
I had saline implants (very small also) in June of 2002.  The pain does get less as time goes on but occassionally they still hurt!  If I had it all to do over again, I would not get implants.  They still feel like someone has taped a half of a grapefruit where my breasts used to be.  I am an artist and there is no way that these things look or act at all naturally. The only "plus" is that my clothes (sweaters and shirts) fit nicely but the price is just too high for all the discomfort.  My doctor actually said that the discomfort could last up to a year.
I had silicone Implants put in about 8 weeks ago, I love them. Yes the I am still alitte sore but not very much. I had left mastecomy in Oct of 03, tissue expander, then silicone implants in both sides. My left breast feels just as real as my right. I chose Silicone over saline for just that reason, I wanted them to feel as natural as possible. They do.
I, too, did bilateral implants (saline) after expanders in June, 2004. (I started at 180 and went to 600cc on each breast.)  I did complain of pain with the expansions.  The doctor told me to expect tightness but I would love to see their definition of tightness.  I was prescribed muscle relaxers.  It helped somewhat to take off the edge.  Maybe it would help for you.  I was told to "never" use ice or a heating pad to help with the pain since  there is now a decrease in sensation which can lead to overexposure and tissue damage.  A warm shower helped after the drains were out.  Try sleeping with pillows to prop you up at night to avoid such a strain on your chest wall when getting up.(I actually slept sitting up on the couch)  The "pain" does get better.  You will feel a world of difference once the expanders are out and the implants are placed in.  Speak to your doctor and the nurse for their suggestions.  Also, do not forget to do your post-mastectomy  exercises (which I hope they explained to you) to avoid any complications with loss of use.  The exercises do get easier as time goes by and are extremely important.  Good luck with your healing and look toward your rainbow - it does happen.
A related discussion, is this normal was started.