Breast Cancer Community
Pain and knots (still) months after stereotactic breast biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I had a stereotactic breast biopsy for multiple areas of microcalcifications done ~3 mos ago. (The results were benign.) However, my breast still hurts after strenuous activity, and there are still funny knots in there, at the incision site and elsewhere. I see a specialist soon for general follow-up, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this? (It took over a month just for the bruising on the skin of the breast to finally go away.)

This discussion is related to Stitches with stereotactic biospy....how common?.
Experience with the knots, yes; the lingering pain, not exactly... although I did have quite a bit of "sensitivity" for several months after the procedure. As for that knot, it's a kind of stiffness or hardness that's a result of scar tissue build-up. After my biopsy wound healed, I gently massaged the area every evening, before bedtime, with Vitamin E oil for about a good 6-8 months after my biopsy... thankfully, the knot eventually disappeared.
Thanks for sharing; feeling knots was quite scary. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of scar tissue in there; I bled a lot following the procedure and had quite a bit of swelling. Unfortunately, the folks at the imaging center gave me little info about what to expect after the biopsy, and my primary care doc couldn't tell me much more. So it was good to hear about your experience! Will be good to finally check in with a specialist soon; I will see about trying the vitamin E trick!