Breast Cancer Community
Pain in Breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Pain in Breast

I had a lump in the left breast which was removed in 2005 and after biopsy nothing unusual was found.Now I am 34.Last year went through a mammo done in September which explained fibroglandular parenchymatous tissues seen in both breasts.Mammo was done after feeling pain in the left breast which was very prominent during the menstrual cycle.
Since then pain is still present and becomes prominent during periods and now sometimes I have felt some very felt small thickening too in my left breast near underarms.Doctor says that nothing is abnormal but recently my Sis-in-law who is 41 is diagnosed with breast cancer of breat ducts at stage IV.She kept a close follow up since 2009 because of some uncommon problems in her breast like coming of a fluid like substances,she went through several tests which were normal.Now since one year she felt a lump which was again found normal in biopsy and mammograph.After a PET-scan the disease is revealed.Still it is not coming in the biopsy and again she is going for another biopsy as doctors say that they cannot initiate the treatment without a clear
biopsy report.

These things are making me scare.Please suggest. Should I again go for a Mammography test.

1 Comment
First of all,please don't even think that your case has anything to do with your sister-in-law's unfortunate breast cancer diagnosis.
What you have could be Fibrocystic breasts change which is a very common benign condition affecting a lot of women between the ages of 30 and 50. The pain and tenderness can be severe and constant even when no lumps can be felt when the breasts are examined.As a rule, fibrocystic breast condition tends to be bilateral,but a woman can have more fibrocystic involvement in one breast than in the other.
These changes are mainly caused by hormonal fluctuations in the body.To help reduce breast pain, try wearing a good supportive bra to minimize breast movement.Many women with breast pain find it comfortable to wear a bra even while they sleep.
Also try to reduce caffeine intake (coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate)A low fat diet rich in fruits, vegetables, losing excess weight may reduce breast pain by stabilizing hormone levels. .
I really wouldn't worry about breast cancer,since this disease is almost never associated with pain.However, if you feel something out of the ordinary, the majority of the time it will be benign, but it is always a signal from your body for attention.
You could ask to have an ultrasound or other tests that your doctor may recommend to find out what is causing the thickening in your axilla area .
Wishing you all the best.