Breast Cancer Community
Pain in breast after radiation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Pain in breast after radiation

Good day,
I finished 35 sessions of radiation for breast cancer at the end of November, now 1.1.2008, and still find my breast gets very sore in the nipple area and in the middle of the breast although my cancer was removed from the side of my breast.   I live in Holland and as little information as possible is supplied here so would appreciate receiving help as to whether this is normal.
Thank you
Radiation therapy can cause a little soreness at the breast region. It is normal and you should discuss with your doctor about breast exercises, breast massage and about the things you need to avoid.
Ask him warm compresses will help to decrease the soreness and if you need to take any OTC pain relief medication.
You need to follow up with him / her as advised and get a proper clinical examination done every 4-6 months along with certain investigations.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Six years after treatment, I still get the occasional pain, numbness and especially itching...understand that the radiation stays with you for awhile...my breast was warm to touch for almost a year.  Do follow up with the doc to rule out other issues, but radiation will cause changes in your breast for a long period of time.
I finished 33 radiation treatments in July and still experince pain.  My understanding is that you can experience symptoms up to 1 year after treatment.  I know that massage on the area has helped to aleviate some of my discomfort.  
Thank you to one and all.   It was so good to hear the doctor's comments and all you other people who have gone through radiation as well.  Only found your website yesterday but feel it is a real good start to the New Year to know all you people are out there to help.  
I wish you all a healthy New Year.