Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Pain in breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Pain in breast

After mammogram I was called for ultrasound.I could see on the screen one black round spot about size of penny. I asked radiologist what is it?She said your doctor will tell you, dont't worry! When she was scanning and touched place where it lightly hurts,on screen was the black spot. I believe just one. After she asked me to wait for mammogram but she returned and said I can go home. Now I have to wait about 1week when my family doctor will call me to come.The reason I went for mammogram was that my friend went for regular check up, never felt any lumps and now is after surgery, she has cancer and has to go for another surgery,because they found more in the rest of her breast, what mammogram didn't show! All that in 2 months!
I had light pain in my breast and I checked myself about 30 times a day, not finding lump but the bubbled tissue as I call, was hurting.That brought me to doctor to ask for mammogram. Now I have short like shooting pain from my left breast to arm,or rib.Also I had a few days ago shooting pain from under my left shoulder to my arm, neck and my legs to the part above my ankles. That all makes me very worried, I am 53, healthy all my life, we don't have breast cancer in family, we have colon cancer,I was a few times for colonoscopy next month I am going again,after about 4 years.My hand are like a little bit stift, is it my stress??? Good bless you for being here! I discovered your page when looking for informations about my problem. Thank you very much. VoriedJ.
Dear worriedJ, It is difficult to comment on "the black round spot" that you saw on the mammogram.  This could be anything even something normal, a bruise.  Perhaps calling your family doctor to see if you can get some information early, to relieve your mind or at least get you set on if further checking is needed.  You should discuss the other pains etc. that you are having with your doctor, who can examine you and with that information as well as the history of symptoms you give, your medical history, can help to focus on diagnosing any problems.
I am 33 yrs old and have a swollen area on the bottom of my breast and it causes pain in that area down to my ribs, my left chest area also feels sore. It scares me. I have had it for a month. I went to my doc and he thought it was a pulled or inflammed muscle and put me on muscle relaxers and celebrex but it hasn't helped. I will call my OBGyn tomorrow to go to her. The pain is a throbbing pain and it hurts even worse if I mash on that area...any suggestions???
I too am going to have a mammogram in February. I have pain also down my arm and in back of my arm pit towards my back when I went to the obgyn also a( breast specialist) he said my breast (which were lumpy) felt like fibrocystic tissue. I have multiple cyst and they are painful, this last time  was the worst but my pain is going away. But it sounds to me like you have a cyst especially if they did a ultra sound , I get them every year after a mammogram. I hope you get  the results soon . Its so hard to wait I know I go through it every year. good luck
When I hear people talking about "pain in the breast" I feel I have to chime in and let people know that pain can very often be a sign of breast cancer.  That may not always be the case, but I urge women not to let their Drs shoo them away saying "breast cancer does not hurt"  I was diagnosed with BC last September on my 25th birthday!!!  I had a Dr who promptly sent me away because "BC doesn't" hurt and I am "too young" (whatever), and I thank God every day that I am so stubborn that I marched out of his office and immediately began searching for another Dr. who would listen to me.  I just urge you to know your body well, and make sure that all your questions are answered, and that you feel comfortable with whatever is going on inside of you.
Dear jwh.. so young and BC! I fully agree with you, we should know our body well so when something feels not normal we have to run to doctor and if we are not satisfied with answer,to do what you did! You just have saved your life, dear. In my case when I had pain,I asked doctor for mammogram and he right away wrote prescription.I said that cancer doesn't hurt and he agreed. It took 1 month before I found out why I have a pain. I was in fear, my friend is before second operation,in November mammogram showed cancer,she didn't have any pain! I am very lucky! They found multiple cysts,which when they will grow bigger can be taken or drained with a needle.I have to find out more about it.
To all of you ladies, YOU ARE REALLY HEROES,I admired your strenght  and I wish you all good luck and early recovery! Vorried J.
for the past week i have had pain in my nipples mostly. what can ccause this? should i be woried. im 21 and have never had a breastt exam. am i possibly pregnant?. any input is appreciated. thank you all who respond