Breast Cancer Community
Pain in ribs after breast cancer radiation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

A cancerous lump was found in my right breast in 2004 and I had lumpechtomy performed whereby it was removed.  Shortly thereafter, I had 35 sessions of radiation.  The cancer has not returned (I take Arimidex).  However, I my ribs underneath my breast are very painful - they can hardly tolerate any touch or pressure.  My Oncologist has told me that every women she has treated for the same also complain about bone pain on the site where the radiation took place.  What is the reason for this? Could it be a weakening of the bone structure due to the medicine, or did the radioation cause it?
Thanks,

R.K.
I wonder if they are not using to strong a dose and that is causing pain.........then I worry it can actually cause another type cancer.  I don't know if I would want radiation, so I sure hope they find no cancer when they go in there.
I had a lumpectomy last December on both breasts. A second one was done on the left breast (which had cancer stage 1) followed by 37 treatments of radiation, 1 week booster. I too have pain in my rib cage on the left side. I spoke with my raodiaoligist/oncologist who said that it does take 12 -18 months for your body to get back to normal. REMEMBER IT HAS BEEN TROUGH ALOT. Give it time. Everyday something even alittle will feel better.
Bertha49
Hi.
The bone pains you are experiencing may be secondary to the medicine you are taking (Arimidex), or it may be a post surgery or post radiation effect.  Patients do complain of increased cutaneous sensitivity to pain on the site where surgery or radiation was done, that even a light touch would elicit intense pain.
You should discuss your symptoms with your oncologist.  For the mean time, you can take any over-the-counter pain relievers to relieve you of the discomfort.
Regards