Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Painful Biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Painful Biopsy

One other question, is the Breast Biopsy painful?? I was sore for a couple of days after the mamo...I am a size 38 D
don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Dear CCDCBAILEY , There are different types of biopsies that may be performed ranging from a fine needle biopsy to a biopsy that requires a small incision of the skin.  With any of these procedures medication is given to numb the area and efforts are made to minimize discomfort.  The radiologist or surgeon will be able to discuss more specifically based on what type of biopsy you will have.
You didn't say what type of biopsy you are having ... there are several types. Some are done in the Radiology Dept. under X-ray guidance using various types of needles to sample the suspicious area. Another would be done in the Surgery Dept. and you would be given an IV sedation type of anesthesia. The needle biopsies are done with a local anesthetic and can be rather uncomfortable to some women.  
It is a ultrasound guided percutaneous vacuum assisted biospy. I can drive myself to and from the appointment so I am assuming it won't be too painful and just some discomfort afterwards.
After that I am having ANOTHER mammo because they are putting a titanium clip in the place where the biospy will be done so they can monitor it .

I am still scared about what the results could be.
I had a biopsy similar to yours, but I had it with an MRI instead of an ultrasound. Honestly, when they administered the lidocaine, it hurt like crazy and I yelped like a dog.

The good news is that the pain only lasts a few seconds. It is worth it to have a few seconds of pain. It is far worse to not know if you have cancer or not.
I had a stereotactic biopsy.  The administration of the lidocaine was probably uncomfortable.  However, I asked my GP in advance for something to help with the anxiety.  Xanax works wonders on pain remediation.  I felt it, but I didn't really care.

Best wishes!
I've had sterotactic core biopsies and MRI guided--2 of each.  They really didn't hurt much--not too terrible.  One spot wouldn't heal for 3 weeks and eventually got infected, so I walked around wrapped up like a mummy, icing it, and all that, which was a drag.  Otherwise, the other 3 healed up just fine and weren't a problem--just temporarily bruising.

FYI--I had surgery (lumpectomy) this week and the healing has been even easier than the biopsy healing.  I still have the bandage on, and I think SEEING it will be a bit of a freak out!  Oh well, we're tough!
I think that it may depend on where your biopsy site is. I think mine may have hurt a lot because the site was just behind the nipple. Also, I asked them not to use epi in the lidocaine, and that may be a factor as well
Sadie I think my site is similar to yours 2-3 cm from nipple. Nanno is right...a little pain is worth it to get the results..I think the waiting is the horrible part.

What were your mammo and sono results that made you go for the biospy?  I go on Wednesday so I'm hoping for good news soon.

Thank you all for your kind words-it helps to know we are not alone.
Nanno-good luck and best wishes.
I actually don't know all the details of the results. I am going to order my medical records to see what is up. I just had a follow-up Mammogram which was "stable" I also had a follow up MRI, but I don't know the results yet.

You have to watch out for medical people sometimes. If you hear that your test results are anything but "normal" then you should order the medical records or question them to find out why it wasn't "normal."

"Good" "Just Great" "Just Fine" "Stable" "Benign" and "unremarkable" is different from "normal". Make sure they always use the word "normal,"
Today is Friday and I had my Biopsy on Wednesday. They changed it from vacuum assisted to core needle. The procedure itself wasn't too bad. The doctor was excellent and explained every step of the way. Afterwards was the uncomfortable part.
The doctor said it was a solid nodule and it had begnin characteristics. I am clinging to that. I won't find out until Wednesday but I am keeping my fingers crossed for good news!

Thanks for all your support.