Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Painful breast lump not visible on ultrasound

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hi there, I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum and am getting somewhat confused with the answers trying to find an exact match to my condition, so thought I would post myself and get some advice.

I am 30 years old, with no history of breast cancer, and for reference, have small breasts.  I have had a small, hard and very painful lump in my left breast for over a year now.  It is easily felt when standing, but very difficult to find when lying down.  
My GP sent me to get an ultrasound.  The ultrasound was conducted while I was lying down, and although the lump is not palpable in this position, it is still very painful, so I could indicate when the instrument passed over the painful area.  I requested the exam to be done sitting so the technician could feel the lump and despite being able to feel it, the technician there was nothing visible on the ultrasound.

I was advised that as my breasts are very small with no fat, that it's just fibrous tissue and was told to take Evening Primrose Oil.

First of all, why would a very painful, hard lump appear on my breast when I am 30 years of age when there has been nothing previously?  Secondly, the pain is consistent when the lump is touched and my menstrual cycle has no effect on the pain so why would Evening Primrose Oil have any effect?

But my major concern is - just because it does not show up on an ulrasound, is this CERTAIN that this lump is not cancerous?  I've read several stories on this forum about lumps not showing up on ultrasound that turn out to be cancer, but others that say cancerous lumps are not painful.  My lump is quite painful, and quite hard (does not feel fluid filled) but does not show up on an ultrasound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dear chimpangie:  In general, any new hard lump would require evaluation.  Not all lumps show up on mammogram or ultrasound.  It is true that most breast cancer is not painful.  That the lump has been there a year and has not grown suggests that this may not be malignant but that cannot be guaranteed.  If this continues to concern you, you might consider a second opinion with a medical breast specialist.  These are generally affiliated with large academic medical centers.  
Hi! I am a 38 year old with 3 kids and am going through the same thing. I felt the lump on my left breast and made an appointment with my OBGYN and she felt it as well. She gave the order to have a mammogram and breast ultra sound done and the ultra sound showed nothing as well and the tech could feel the lump. Very strange when they came back and said that there are no abnormalities when there is something there. My Dr. also had me make an appoint with a surgeon even if the results came back as of that. She said that the lump shouldn't be there so it needs to be taken out no questions asked.

It is a very scary thing to just wait and have no answers. I would have your lump taken out by a surgeon and go from there. Don't tak no for an answer!

Good luck....
A related discussion, Painful  breast lumps was started.