Breast Cancer Community
Painful lump between right armpit and breast
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Painful lump between right armpit and breast

I need your opinions...for the past 5+ years I have had a small lump in my lower underarm - basically between my breast and my underarm.  I have had my OB/GYNs check it out during my yearly exams and every year I tell him it concerns me.  They say it is 'normal breast tissue'.  This does not feel normal to me..it feels like a knotty pebble...about the size of a kidney bean!  Add to it that the area between my breast and armpit stays continuously swollen...almost looks like another little puffy breast trying to grow!  From time to time, the lump is painful...but lately it has been sore for the past 2 weeks.  The pain extends into my arm.  My grandmother had to have a mastectomy due to a tumor in her breast.  My mother has to go every 6 months for a mammogram because of lumps in her breast due to scar tissue from reduction surgery.  Maybe I should also mention that I have also always been top-heavy...36D.  I have very dense breasts and through self exams I can tell you I know the difference between my normal breast tissue and this knotty thing below my armpit.  Should I just get another doctor?  Do I see another OBGYN or what kind of doctor should I go to about this?  I am a 29 yr mother of 2 and this really concerns me during a time in history when there are so many reports of breast cancer.  Even if it is not cancer, I would like to know exactly what it is and how to get rid of it because it bugs the stew out of me.  
Thanks for listening...