Breast Cancer Community
Painful lump under nipple and nipple discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I have had puffy nipples with lumps under them for about a year and a half and recently the lump under my left nipple got really hard and about an inch and a quarter in diamater and is very painful to the touch.  I also had a blackish nipple discharge.  It was like a blackish puss.  What is this?
1 Comment
I would think that this persistent problem should have been addressed earlier and not let it go for so long.However,I don't think that it has anything to do with breast cancer, but most certainly a benign breast problem.
From what you describe it sounds like Mammary Duct Ectasia Symptoms, which can occur in males and females, and may be caused by infection or inflammation of a milk ducts in the breast, near the nipple, causing green,brown or black discharge, nipple pain, breast lumps, swelling,and redness.
You definitely need to see your doctor or preferably a Breast Specialist as soon as possible to treat this problem that would usually include a course of antibiotics and non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications or even surgery to remove the abnormal duct.
I hope you'll feel better soon,once treatment starts.
Take care...