Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Painful lump under right breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Painful lump under right breast

I have a painful lump that comes up under my right breast every four weeks or so, about a few days before I should have a period.  I have taken antibiotics for it, and also used warm compresses.  It never comes to a head and drains.  A mammogram showed no mass or anything.  I have just turned 44 years old.  My doctor thinks it could be a cyst or a boil.  It comes up about every 4 weeks, is painful for a few days, then swelling and pain goes away until another 4 weeks or so, and it comes up again.  Hurts to wear a bra, and also to go without a bra.  My doctor said it could possible be an encapsulated cyst.  I would just like to have more information on what the problem could be and what can be done.  I am tired of this every month or so.  If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!
Dear permperm:  Without examination, there is no way for us to speculate on what this might be.  Sometimes cysts will come and go with a menstrual cycle.  An ultrasound is a good test for differentiating between a solid or cystic lump but this may or may not be indicated.  Since this is so uncomfortable, you should make an appointment with your doctor to discuss diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
I'm 39 and I have the same symptoms in the right breast, but area is different - upper right corner. I'm being diagnozed right now, so my exprerience might be helpful. Mammogram and US results are not very clear: this is ill defined and apper to represent fibrogladular tissue and not a mass. FNA results are negative. Both radiologists and the lab specialist recomended to watch the area and repeat the mammogram in 6 months, but the breast surgent suggested the excision biopsy (basically removal of the lesion) to be 100% sure that it's benign. Now, i need to decide. Advice, please
I also had a cyst like growth that came up under my right breast around the time for my monthly cycle.  I put drawing salve with a dressing on so that I could wear my bra.  The bump came to a head and oozed yucky yellow discharge and burned for the time it took to come to the head.  After it erupted there was no more burning and the pain subsided.  It came back in a different location 2 months later apx 1 1/2 inches from first location.I did the same treatment and so far so good, six months has passed with no signs of boil or cyst returning.  Now I am experiencing tenderness in my right breast.  I have had a sona gram and a mammogram and both show nothing.  What would be some other remedies or test?  My doctor says to review your web site and do a little research on my own and if still concerned to contact her office.
A related discussion, Painful localized lump underside of R breast was started.
A related discussion, cysts or lumps again on my right breast was started.
A related discussion, Do I have breast cancer? was started.
A related discussion, Brest lumps was started.